Monday, March 31, 2008

Pretty in Pink: Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C.

USA
Pretty in Pink: Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C.
...cross the Potomac River to Washington, D.C. that is in full bloom with its Cherry Blossom Festival (thank you Japan for the gracious gift enjoyed by so many).


Yesterday my friend Roger and I were blessed to visit Arlington National Cemetery and see the
John F. Kennedy memorial, Arlington House (the Robert W. Lee Memorial), Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (with the changing of the guard ceremony), and then cross the Potomac River to Washington, D.C. that is in full bloom with its Cherry Blossom Festival.

We were able to visit the Jefferson Memorial, the Washington Monument (didn't get to go up in it because the tickets are only available in the early morning on a first come basis), the Lincoln Memorial, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall, Three Soldiers, and everything in between, with the cherry blossoms everywhere appearing as one big pink cloud or cotton candy. (I was disgusted to see they plan on polluting the park with something for MLK).

We saw lots of Asians, heard some German, a little Italian, Spanish and Russian or something, and whatever else. Considering all the foreigners, I told Roger, "It's a great day to be an American!" and was happy to be able to visit our historic sites that Americans have seen all our life in books and pictures or on television or in movies.

We took a break from our historic gauntlet and had coffee at Caribou's and then ate at Potbelly Sandwich Works just on the corner from the White House. I was very pleasantly surprised we were able to eat and have a drink for under $10.00. I thought everything would cost us an arm and a leg like New York probably does.

We went to view the White House (I understand from relatives, I'm a collateral descendant of 3 American presidents, John Adams, John Q. Adams, and James Buchanan), front and back, and saw plenty of tourists, and only one protester directly in front of the White House gate with calls to impeach Bush and to learn how at some myspace.com address.

The first time I was in Washington, D.C. was to join with pro-life people protesting Bill Clinton's inauguration where we held 4 foot posters of "Baby David" to remind folks of how gruesome abortion is and how it must end.

My Christian friend Carl and I had gotten somewhat lost and ended up very briefly in the ghetto area, rot so near the heart of our country, a black blight. Thankfully, Roger and I went through some of the nice and well kept areas en route to the sites.

This time, at least I had a chance to see some things other than the Washington Monument and the presidential motorcade (I hope my pictures turn out good), although everybody says you could spend a week alone in the Smithsonian, etc. I hope to return and have a proper tour of the White House and see much more.


May God bless America, this land that I love.

David Ben-Ariel



No comments: