Saturday, May 20, 2006

Gordon Youth Hostel, Tel Aviv; Miriam's

Aerogramme from Israel to Mom & Lisa

Thurs. Eve.
Jan. 30, 1992

Dear Mom & Lisa,
Shalom again from Israel!
I arrived here 11:30 p.m. Tues. & spent the night
at Gordon's youth hostel on the beachfront in
Tel Aviv, drinking with a South African guy & his
Irish friend. I made it here to Miriam's Wed.
afternoon. Thank God she found her misplaced
album 1/2 hr. before I arrived. She said you were
so friendly on the phone. She said she couldn't
imagine I'd taken it, but thought maybe I borrowed
it or something. Silly woman! She became very ill
last night, vomited & was dizzy so we called the
night nurse. I was afraid she was going to die.
Today she's much better. I'm staying here until
Sun. morning. She loves my company & appreciates
my "help" - little things for me, but big for her.
God's blessed us already w/10 years of love &
friendship. 10 yrs! Unbelievable... Sun. I leave for
my old kibbutz. I might stay for 1 month & come
home. I must be where I can have the set-up
to write. Writers must write. My inheritance
dwindles, but I don't regret for a moment how
I've spent it (except maybe for a few too many
dollars spent on drink!). Donna has gone to
Egypt & is to then fly to London & hopes to visit
us in America this summer. Perhaps with her
present lover, Andrew, if they're still together.
Miriam had 10 letters waiting here for me from
Bob, Mrs. Goldner, cards from Lee & Linda, Bill & Carol,
Donna, Mrs. Glick, Janet, new friends from S.Afrika,
etc. South Africa was probably one of the
best times of my life! Too good to be true,
but it's true. I'll write more later,
or call if I'm coming home sooner.
Love,
David (in Hebrew)

No comments: