Friday, May 19, 2006

Huge SOUTH AFRICA postcard to Mom & Lisa































(same one I sent to many people with Table Mountain; The Cango Caves
near Oudtshoorn; Forest Falls in the Eastern Transvaal; Africa Lion
)

Mon. Dec. 16, 1991

Dearest Mom & Lisa,
Shalom (written in Hebrew) from beautiful South Africa!
I arrived in Johannesburg, S.A. last
Wednsday eve. about 8:30 pm. our flight left
Tel Aviv & flew to Athens, Greece & then south
over the Mediterranean, Egypt, Sudan, etc.
It all looked so barren & desert & brown. We also
could see the Nile from the plane. I flew South
African Airways. I spent my first night here at the
City Lodge hotel near the airport. Thurs.
afternoon I hitched (their cars drive like in England!)
& got about 3 rides from very nice people - some of
whom went out of their way to help me along - before i met
up with this very nice girl who was hitchhiking also. Ilsa
is her name. She's from the city of Pretoria - their capital. So we hitched together.
We passed such wide, open, unbelievable spaces, hilly & flat & mountains in the distance. We spent the night in Uitenhage near Port Elizabeth with the man who gave us a ride for about 9 hrs.
He lives there w/his wife & 3 kids. Fri. Ilsa & I got a good ride from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town (8 Hours) in the back of a pickup truck. I got burnt - the sun is wicked but the weather's
beautiful. We passed such awesome scenery & huge mtns., farm land & miles of winding coast of the
Indian ocean. My friend Debbie picked me up in Cape Town. It's the resort area. I'll continue on another card. Love, David

No comments: