Sunday, May 14, 2006

ZEBRA GROUP/GROEP SEBRAS






























Postcard from the Republic of South Africa (RSA) of zebras to my mom & youngest sister, Wanda & Lisa
Holland, Ohio (mom gave me some of these cards back knowing I'd enjoy them).

Jan. 17, '92
Shalom!
Where do I begin - too many tales
to tell. I think I left off at Plettenberg
Bay...Then James & I carried on to
Tsitsikama Forest, walked/crossed Storms River on a
suspension bridge; checked out Kynsna with
its lagoons & spent a night w/his friends in
Port Elizabeth, ate at the yacht club,
then Fri. (my B.day) James & I went our
ways & I wasn't on the highway 10 minutes
before a kickbox karate instructer picked me
up & took me the 3 hr. drive to East London
right to the doorstep of a youth hostel! But
first we stopped at Port Alfred where he bought me
2 drinks for my 32nd. In East London I met up
with the English couple I bunji jumped with & we
then hitched together (another story) through Transkei (along the coast) to Durban
in a Mercedes. In Durban we rented a car for 6 days (this is our 3rd) &
drove to Pongola - spent the night at
some guy's house & then drove thru
Swaziland & now we're in Kruger
National Park. We've seen wild
Giraffes, Zebras, Baboons, Elephants, Springbok, Rhinos, etc! Love, David

ZEBRA GROUP Southern Africa
With the extinction of the Quagga in 1878, the Cape mountain zebra, and
Burchells zebra (Equus burchelli) - as seen here, are the only 'wild
horses' remaining in the sub-continent.

GROEP SEBRAS Suidelike Afrika
(same description but in Afrikaans).


Pierre from Pongola, RSA invited Ruth, Paul, German & myself to stay in his farmhouse near Swaziland '92

No comments: